Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Google Killer Meme

My brother used to call Facebook the "world's largest opium den." And while I'm not aware of any opium dens that generate $4 billion in revenue per year, there's truth to that statement.
"Advertising where people hang out is still fundamentally different and less valuable than advertising to people who are looking to buy your product when they are looking to buy it, which is what Google does."
- Henry Blodget

Working in search for the past several years has taught me one thing above all else, Google is not dumb. They're not infallible, they're not omnipotent, but they're not dumb.

If the Google dragon is ever truly slayed, it will be by something we've never seen before and probably haven't even considered.

While I welcome and encourage innovation that challenges Google's supremacy, I suggest that the internet community is too quick to jump aboard the Google death meme.

Last time I looked, Google was doing $9 billion a quarter. Facebook? Not yet. All social combined? Nope. Siri? No.

Search is still the primary way most people access the web.

No comments:

Post a Comment